Thursday, July 4, 2013

The Beginning: My Taxi Ride in Delhi and The Oberoi

Note: I'm writing this about a week later.

Walking out of the airport onto the streets of Delhi was quite an experience. I was expecting to be assaulted with scents, sounds, and crowds of people. That was certainly true, but more than anything, I was overwhelmed with the services Fulbright arranged for us. I suppose it's because mostly everything is cheaper in India, but we were all greeted with many smiling faces, air conditioned cars, and, most important of all, cold water bottles and towels. All of this was in addition to the excitement I felt of landing in my first new country (besides Canada). Needless to say, it was a lot to handle.

The ride to our hotel was full of many surprises. I don't really know how to word this without it sounding silly, but I have quickly learned traveling and experiencing new cultures involves lots of opportunities to feel silly, so here goes: it was strange to see so much English surrounding me even though everything felt so foreign. As odd as it felt, there was something comforting about it. Driving however was absolutely intimidating, but I'll go more into detail on that later.

Some more things I was intrigued by: the amount of people peeing on the streets, how many men were comfortable holding each others' hands, and the intensity of people's stares. I later learned in a "Things That Will Surprise You" presentation how common the first two were. Concerning the third, we had talked about how sometimes people will stare or even leer at you for looking different. Still, I found it incredibly intimidating. It still is, but I've learned not to look back. If I'm walking in the streets, I'll look forward and past everyone. It helps a lot, but it's hard to block out what people say sometimes.

It was difficult to handle witnessing all the poverty around me as well. There's something about being a foreigner in a poorer country that makes it difficult to ignore beggars. It feels cruel, especially knowing that you come from a country that offers far more opportunities and that what might be a little to you is considered a lot to them. It's a really tough situation because often times, even if you give money to beggars, it doesn't actually go to them. This is especially true with children, who are frequently used to earn more sympathy money. Thinking about all of this often leaves me feeling guilty and frustrated.

Leaving the poverty behind the gates of our hotel and entering The Oberoi, one of the best hotels in Asia, was absolutely overwhelming. As we stepped out of the car, our bags were taken care of and we were greeted with floral leis, fresh juice, and friendly employees. They put a red dot on our heads that "represented peace and tranquility" and welcomed us into the air conditioned hotel. I could hardly believe what was happening. I had barely begun to process all I had witnessed.

My stay at the hotel was lovely, but I was torn between appreciating that and wanting to leave and explore India on my own. It felt more like an expensive vacation than the beginning of my Fulbright. My experience at The Oberoi Grand in Kolkata has been very similar, but we've been allowed to explore on our own more. Also, the hotel is right in the city, so it's easier for us to walk out and about.

3 comments:

  1. Christine thanks for your blog. I really get a sense of what India is like through your eyes. Take it all in as this is truly an experience of a life time. Love you, Mommy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Christine, we are watching The Life of Pi and I feel I am sharing India with you. Miss you very much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still haven't seen that movie! I'm glad you're enjoying it, but I can almost undoubtedly say my experiences probably don't match what you're watching. Miss you too!

      Delete