Monday, October 28, 2013

Independence Day at Diocesan... pictures to come!

Note: As I mentioned in my "I'm back... again" post, I am still waiting on some pictures of my school's program. Definitely check back when they're up because the students and teachers put on a fantastic and beautiful performance. They'll be worth the wait!

From the moment I joined Diocesan, I was immersed in the Independence Day excitement. Since we're not full-time teachers, ETAs are left with a lot of downtime. Fortunately for me, the Independence Day program preparations didn't leave any time for a dull moment. Whenever I had a free period, or had an off, as the other teachers say, I would walk down to the giant field and watch the girls practice their dances, marching, and other performances. This was also great because I had a lot of time to talk with the students who were involved. When you're teaching classes of more than sixty five students, this time is precious. 
My friend, coordinating teacher, fellow teacher and me

Two weeks later, the day finally came. I went over to my friend Esha's house, a girl about my age who was teaching in place of a teacher on leave for a month, early in the morning so her mom could drape a sari on me. I told the teachers and students who asked that I wouldn't wear a sari as a surprise. Needless to say they were all so excited to see me wearing one. On Independence Day, teachers are supposed to wear white saris with orange borders. 


This is where all the performances took place.
My school's Independence Day performance was absolutely beautiful. The campus field transformed into a giant stage. The bamboo structures I had seen emerging around the field were now beautiful awnings covered in orange, yellow, and green fabric to protect spectators from the sun and possibly rain. Apparently it has rained every Independence Day for the past few years, but this never stops the performance. The girls rehearsed in the hot August heat and rain, and the performance would be no different. I had so much respect for these girls giving the rehearsals their all already, and I can't even describe how proud I was watching the actual performance. Pictures will come once I get the CD.


The girls' costumes were absolutely gorgeous. They were elaborately dressed, and their acting/marching/dancing matched it perfectly. There were certainly some mistakes during the rehearsals, but by this point, if there were any I didn't see them. By the end of the performance, I was so happy to be part of the Diocesan family.


A picture I managed to take of some of the students in costume.
Some of our little performers. They danced!

The marchers from my perspective. This is why I decided not to take photos myself and use the school's photographers' pictures instead. I'm sure they came out much nicer.

2 comments:

  1. Christina,

    Greetings from NYC. Your dad sent me the link to your blog and I've been enjoying reading it. Sounds like you're having a great time and learning a lot. ENJOY!

    Also, I keep threatening to bring an actual physical copy of the Flip Book you helped produce to your dad, so he can give it to you but, while you're waiting for me to remember to do that (which could be a while - doh!) here it is on the web:

    http://www.flippies.com/gallery/hps-flipbook

    Keep them posts a comin'!

    Dave Campbell

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the students in all their festive outfits. I can sense the energy and the spectacle "pop" through your pictures. Keep the pictures and the blogs coming.

    ReplyDelete