Sunday, October 27, 2013

Simurali: First Trip Out of Kolkata!

Back in July, one of the Fulbright Researchers invited all five of us to accompany him to Simurali, a suburban town Kolkata. We were all excited because it was our first trip outside of Kolkata and our first experience using the trains. The trains were indeed an adventure. It was so crowded that most of us didn't get a seat. The experience would be much easier to handle now, but then it was pretty exhausting. Speaking as one of the women on the trip, I can say that at least for me, you're more aware of staring and leering on public transportation. My first experiences on the metro and the buses were a bit traumatizing for that reason, especially since you're essentially a sardine in a can, but that can is full of many, many men. Apparently there's a woman's car if I remember correctly, but we weren't on it. At some point, someone offered me half a seat. I honestly couldn't decide if the half seat was more comfortable than standing since I was struggling to avoid falling off the bench. Later when I was offered an "actual" seat between two people, I decided to leave the whole notion of "comfort" behind on the train. 
A picture from the rooftop.

When our stop came, we were greeted with something I think most of us had forgotten: fresh air. Kolkata, like many cities in and outside of India, is very polluted. However, Kolkata is notorious for it's pollution, so this was quite refreshing. We walked off of the platform and into this beautiful town. Kolkata has a lot of green for a city, but it obviously couldn't compare to this.

We arrived at the house the researcher and his crew were working with after a quick cha break. Tea is called cha in West Bengal. It's a bit different than the chai served in the rest of India. Personally, I think it tastes better, but perhaps I'm a bit biased.) The family was a pleasure to talk to and spend time with. We spent the whole day there. I hung out on the roof with some of the other Fulbrighters for the majority of the time. It was nice to be able to relax in the fresh air and nature surrounding us.


The train ride back was much more pleasant. It was far less crowded, and I was able to sit pretty close to the window. I saw the most beautiful sunset I had ever seen in my life there. I didn't feel comfortable taking my camera out since I was surrounded by people, but maybe it's better that way. Some images are better kept as memories, and the picture would not have done it any justice. I was virtually every color behind silhouettes of villages, people, and different kinds of trees. Once the sun had set, a family with a small baby sat across from me. I played peek-a-boo with the baby for like an hour, so that was awesome. Her family was on board with it and thought it was sweet, which really added to it. The whole day was fantastic and full of many new experiences. 

First monkey sighting! It was on the move so I didn't have much time, but he's there alright.
Front entrance from the rooftop.





My first official cow picture in India! It took way too long for this to happen.

The first dog in India I pet! As a dog lover, this was hugely exciting

A cute little boy I met who lives across the road

One of many cow pictures that followed.

I love the use of bamboo in India.

Bamboo being used in construction.

The walk to and from the house was full of beautiful surprises, this lake being one!


On the walk back to the train.


2 comments:

  1. Love the pictures!! Big fan of the animal ones (no surprise there). I'm glad you updated though! It's cool to see other parts of India :). It looks really pretty and peaceful. I'm so jealous of your adventures. And the pride parade looked awesome!

    ReplyDelete